To help new mappers acquire the basic skills needed to add data to OpenStreetMap, Crowd2Map has set up a training programme on Canvas, enabling mappers to earn digital badges for their achievements. The How to Map Buildings 101 module was launched in July 2020. More training modules and badges will follow in the coming months.
Badge 1: How to Map Buildings 101
The recipient of this badge has shown a basic knowledge of how to correctly add buildings in OpenStreetMap. In order to earn this badge, the recipient has to complete an online quiz on Canvas, achieving a 100% score.
Topics covered include:
- how to trace and tag buildings
- how to square rectangular buildings
- how to map each building individually and accurately
- how to distinguish buildings from natural features
- how to avoid accidentally joining buildings to roads, buildings and other areas
You can access instructions about mapping buildings and get the badge here.
Badge 2: How to map highways 101
The recipient of this badge has shown to have a basic knowledge of how to correctly add highways in OpenStreetMap. In order to earn this badge, the recipient must view a set of video tutorials and achieve 100% in the quiz, as part of the Highways 101 module on Canvas.This badge evidences the following learning outcomes:
- Demonstrate knowledge of the importance of being selective when adding highways by using a decision tree.
- Be familiar with the three most common highway tags, and when to use them: minor/unclassified road, residential road, path.
- Demonstrate knowledge of the importance of mapping highways accurately, by joining highways at junctions, not connecting highways to buildings and other areas, and by following the course of a highway while tracing it.
- Being familiar with a number of tools, such as the issues tool, the measuring tool, and how to disconnect, split, and merge sections of highway.
- Know how to navigate the decision tree in order to decide when to add a highway and when not to add it.