For Open Data Day on March 6th 2021 Crowd2map hosted a webinar on Open Gender Data for Tanzania. We were joined by a number of amazing speakers:
- Revi Stirling – Director, USAID W-GDP WomenConnect Challenge will talk about financial inclusion and the digital divide.
- Naledi Hollbruegge, Data Scientist at UNDP. Naledi has a background in Psychology and started her career in social research before becoming a data analyst focusing on self-service analytics tools and data visualisation. She now works with nonprofit organisations to support them in making more data-driven decisions and gain insights through effective data visualisation.
- Dr Annemarie Middelburg. consultant and FGM expert.
- Heather Leson, Technologist, Digital Strategy and Partnerships, International Federation of Red Cross and Red Cresent, co-curator Data Playbook
- Laura Mugeha, Geospatial engineer & YouthMappers Regional Ambassador
- Christina Reuben, Environmental Scientist, OMDTZ
- Raya Idrissa Ahmada. Assistant Lecturer at the State University of Zanzibar (SUZA) and a Youthmappers Regional Ambassador. She is also the Founder of Mshauri STEM Initiative with the aim of helping young girls have STEM careers.
- Theresia Charles Numbi, a CEO of Lighthouse (EA) Legal Clinic (LEALC), Advocate of the High Court and Assistant Lecturer at Tumaini University Dar es Salaam College.
There was a very fruitful discussion and the opportunity for networking. In conclusion we agreed that,
“For progress towards gender equality, we need better identification of issues affecting women and girls.”
The speakers’ slides are here. If you would like to know more about this important issue, and how to get involved, please get in touch.